Sunday, June 13, 2010

The Ridge Roof

I have quite a collection of photos of the farmhouse near Mabou in Cape Breton where my father was born. This print is based on one of those photographs and shows the new part of the house built by my grandfather - a two storey addition. The house is clad in cedar shingles painted white, but now faded with the weather. The lines are simple and unadorned.

This is a reduction print. I used pink and mauve to soften the austerity of the house and the red of the power line leading to the road lifts gives a jump to the image.

When I showed this to my father, he said it was perfect, just perfect.

The Ridge Roof is available for sale here.

1 comment:

  1. Perfect, just perfect, indeed. I like the composition very much, the house is well done, and the red line is just the right amount of red... not too coarse.

    ReplyDelete